KryptonKrewmembers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio (and other current reads...)

Go down

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio (and other current reads...) Empty The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio (and other current reads...)

Post  StopBeingCute Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:45 pm

A recent scour through my local Goodwill netted me several new additions to my ever-growing home library, and I picked this one up because I'd seen the movie version a couple years back. It was an entertaining and engaging read about a mother (of TEN children) who kept her family going by winning contests. In post WWII America, companies increased product interest and sales by holding contests for the general public to finish their product jingles or come up with 25 words or less about the product. This woman was able to provide for her family (since her husband was an alcoholic and drank most of his paychecks away) with wit and determination.

I also just finished My Sister's Keeper. Another Goodwill find, and again purchased because I'd seen the movie. This one was much heavier, and I found myself having to set it aside several times because it was upsetting. The twist at the end was entirely unexpected and I admit I had tears rolling down my cheeks. (By the way if you've seen the movie but not read the book... the twist at the end in the book is not in the movie.) It was an incredibly well-written story but be prepared for the drama.

I just started on Angela's Ashes. Too soon to really tell, other than I'm glad I didn't start it right after My Sister's Keeper, as this one is proving to be just as intense.
StopBeingCute
StopBeingCute
No Life

https://www.facebook.com/t0t4lg33k

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum