KryptonKrewmembers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how'd dem names come into being???

+13
Vampjazzy
maron
ZombieJoe
Mountebank
Willow
LyingBastard
gnurd
HeavenlyMayday
General Specific
Domina
Kid-spider2099
RowanFalar
Zod the everliving
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

how'd dem names come into being??? Empty how'd dem names come into being???

Post  Zod the everliving Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:56 pm

So Zod was ruminating one day, not altogether unlike the fashion in which we see conan doing at the end of his movie from his throne and all.

Anyway.. zod was ruminating.. where and how those fanciful names came into being?
Apologies if this sort of topic had come up in the past during any previous iterations of the forum.

to be fair..
*takes off zod hat*

PVP online was the first forum I'd ever tried, believe it or not.
Before then I had been an active face on Penquin chat in a little corner of the inetz called freeworldgroup.com.
I was actually a moderator there for a time but left after breaking up with an ex.. blah blah.. let's jump ahead. P-chat is gone now, btw, they closed it after I'd left.

anyway, yeah so I thought Zod would be a fun idea, I and a few friends discussed the character and the movie a few nights prior and laughed our asses silly in the process.
Zod seemed like a geek/inetz type name suitable for pvponline forums.

and the rest is history.. or herstory.. depends on your point of view.. ;p
Zod the everliving
Zod the everliving
KNEEL!

Back to top Go down

how'd dem names come into being??? Empty Re: how'd dem names come into being???

Post  RowanFalar Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:33 pm

Mine is actually easy. But convoluted.

I was involved in RPGA (Role Playing Gamer's Association). One of the things I really got into was Living City, an RPG campaign set in the Forgotten Realms in the city called Raven's Bluff. I needed to come up with a name for my Human Ranger character. So, I wanted a celtic name. I was going to go with the Black Rose, which loosely translates as Falar Roisin. I didn't like that as much, so I went with Rowan (which is a wonderfully interesting tree) and Falar.
I played my character for about 10 years through the many permutations of LC. I met Cherub through LC, and most of my oldest friends were met through LC.

I started using Rowan Falar as my online persona, and it's has served me well, including using it as a name for my chainmaille jewelry business, Rowan Falar Designs. The name is unique, and I've managed to establish that name in hotmail, gmail, rogers, and yahoo.
RowanFalar
RowanFalar
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  Kid-spider2099 Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:39 pm

well I've always been a spider-man fan and one of fave spider-man characters is spider-kid and i have also like kid flash so i picked kidspider and i have always liked the 2099 universe. also when i was in high school i created a comic book character called Kidspider. I've always liked the name so when started going to forums i was kidspider.
Kid-spider2099
Kid-spider2099
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  Domina Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:15 pm

Original handle was "DominaStarr". Domina means "Mistress" in Latin. At the time I was fresh outta my Latin class. That and I like to think I am a badass. 8) Starr-Marrie is my real life name.

There is on thing I have been curious about too... What is up with the "family" relations, KS and Vamp are bro and sis? o.0 Zod and Rowan too? Please explain.

Last edited by Domina on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Domina
Domina
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  General Specific Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:19 pm

I was a fan of the woefully under appreciated cartoon series Sheep in the Big City. The plot revolved around the titular Sheep who had escaped from a top secret military installation where they were experimenting with a Sheep-powered ray gun. Note the capitalization, this was a gun that would only work with Sheep (as the show explained, because he was the only one that fit). Pursuing Sheep was the leader of the military installation, General Specific.

I love little word games and tricks like that, so naturally gravitated to the name. I had other names for old forums, but wanted to start anew when I joined the Image forums. That was when I started going by that name.
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  HeavenlyMayday Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:49 pm

Mine is super easy- it's my name and birthday, basically. Celeste translates to Heavenly and I was born on May first, Mayday Smile

HeavenlyMayday
HeavenlyMayday
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  General Specific Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:01 pm

HeavenlyMayday wrote:Mine is super easy- it's my name and birthday, basically. Celeste translates to Heavenly and I was born on May first, Mayday Smile

Awww, I was hoping it was:

how'd dem names come into being??? 2006-111
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  Kid-spider2099 Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:18 pm

well i can't speak for rowan and zod but as for me and vamp me being her little brother i think started at the pvp forum ( i think) Everybody was flirting with vamp sitting on her lap and what not and i tried it once and I was shoved off cause i was too much like a little brother to her so i from then i was kinda her unoffical little brother.
Kid-spider2099
Kid-spider2099
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  gnurd Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:36 pm

I wanted to come up with a different way of spelling the word "nerd," which I felt described me quite well in high school. I went with the silent G and picked a different vowel. Unfortunately, most people don't understand what I'm going for and pronounce it "guh-nerd" or "g-nerd."
gnurd
gnurd
No Life

http://www.skippinginfinity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LyingBastard Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:54 pm

It's based on my notion that everyone on the internet is a lying bastard, I'm just up front about it. And it was the name of the experimental ship in Larry Niven's RINGWORLD.
LyingBastard
LyingBastard
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  HeavenlyMayday Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:42 am

gnurd wrote:I wanted to come up with a different way of spelling the word "nerd," which I felt described me quite well in high school. I went with the silent G and picked a different vowel. Unfortunately, most people don't understand what I'm going for and pronounce it "guh-nerd" or "g-nerd."

I've always pronounced it "Nerd" in my head if it makes you feel any better?

Also- GS, I'm famous you know. Wink
HeavenlyMayday
HeavenlyMayday
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  Willow Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:11 am

Well for me I've been using the name Willow Dragonheart since highschool. So my email address for both yahoo and google are willowdragonheart....that's a bit long for a forum name, so over at PvP I chose willowdragon, and have thusly just gone with Willow. I've always been akin to a willow tree and I feel that it personifies me quite well; Strong, but bending (among other characteristics). So when I first started looking for a Pagan name that what I chose.

Had I not picked Willow, I would have chosen Khani (I *so* wish my parents had spelled my first name that way...that would have been badass).
Willow
Willow
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Zod the everliving Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:54 am

Domina wrote:Original handle was "DominaStarr". Domina means "Mistress" in Latin. At the time I was fresh outta my Latin class. That and I like to think I am a badass. Cool Starr-Marrie is my real life name.

There is on thing I have been curious about too... What is up with the "family" relations, KS and Vamp are bro and sis? o.0 Zod and Rowan too? Please explain.

2 reasons for my part:
1. Rowan ever been the forum mom. Being zod and lord/co-founder of the krew, it made sense that we be brother and sister.
2. I love my Roro. <3
Zod the everliving
Zod the everliving
KNEEL!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountebank Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:00 am

I was theunknownzombie because of internet anonymity and because zombies are cool.

I was returnoftheunknownzombie after image forums imploded for a couple of weeks, and I had to pick a new handle, so I chose a B-movie style title.

Shortened to zombie purely for the sake of brevity.

Changed to Mountebank because ZombieJoe beat me to the undead thing this time around, and I like the word.
Mountebank
Mountebank
The Master

Back to top Go down

Post  ZombieJoe Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:29 am

During most incarnations of online stuff I had been using webtroll. That came about around 15 years ago while doing 3rd shift tech support. I was developing web sites for our office usage and I was looking at something that shuns sunlight but was not charismatic like a vampire. So... troll. (Of course this was before "trolling" became an internet stigma.)

After doing a stint of articles and blogs on Geek Like Me I had been using Zombie Joe as it was something Aaron took to calling me. Something about an encyclopedic knowledge of zombie media. After working the last Wizard World Texas with him and his friend Mark, he introduced me to everyone as Zombie Joe. Any comics I had signed down there were signed to Zombie Joe. So it stuck.

As such I have a slew of photos autographed to Zombie Joe as well as around probably 30 or 40 books.
ZombieJoe
ZombieJoe
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  maron Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Maron comes from marron which in french means chestnut or chestnut brown which is the color of my hair and since my hair is one of the things people first notice when they look at me (boobs and legs don't count) I figured I would do a name that refers to it. French was chosen because the earliest found was Charlemagne's brother I pay respect to my ansistry with the french translation.
The lack of the second r is because I didn't know how to spell it when I came up with the nickname so I spelled it the same way that the main character in Kamikaze Kaitou jeanne spelled it because maron was named after chestnuts.
At times when I can not use the handle maron I will add a heavenly in front of it and that is from some one who licked my arm said I tasted heavenly (from what I am told I have sweet tasting skin.. I disagree but that is besides the point)
maron
maron
Exorcised...

http://heavenlymaron.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  RowanFalar Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:41 pm

Zod the everliving wrote:
Domina wrote:Original handle was "DominaStarr". Domina means "Mistress" in Latin. At the time I was fresh outta my Latin class. That and I like to think I am a badass. Cool Starr-Marrie is my real life name.

2 reasons for my part:
1. Rowan ever been the forum mom. Being zod and lord/co-founder of the krew, it made sense that we be brother and sister.
2. I love my Roro. <3

That and the fact that EmpressMoppet is Heir Apparent (do you honestly think that Ursa would spawn? Shocked Shocked ) also helps. But yeah, I loves my big bro. Even if he DID drop off the face of the earth for a while!!!! Evil or Very Mad
RowanFalar
RowanFalar
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  Vampjazzy Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:37 pm

Hm.. I used to play on BBS' in high school, and everyone called me Jaz. In fact, some of my friends still do, lol. When I started getting online I wanted something slightly sexier, ended up with Vampjazzy.. that's who I was on PvP. I shortened it to Vampy eventually, and then just Vamp. Smile
Vampjazzy
Vampjazzy
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountebank Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:30 pm

Vampjazzy wrote:Hm.. I used to play on BBS' in high school, and everyone called me Jaz. In fact, some of my friends still do, lol. When I started getting online I wanted something slightly sexier, ended up with Vampjazzy.. that's who I was on PvP. I shortened it to Vampy eventually, and then just Vamp. Smile
It's weird that when we started speaking, we referred to each other by our forum handles. I wonder if we should get them put on the marriage certificate...
Mountebank
Mountebank
The Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Vampjazzy Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:32 pm

Mountebank wrote:
Vampjazzy wrote:Hm.. I used to play on BBS' in high school, and everyone called me Jaz. In fact, some of my friends still do, lol. When I started getting online I wanted something slightly sexier, ended up with Vampjazzy.. that's who I was on PvP. I shortened it to Vampy eventually, and then just Vamp. Smile
It's weird that when we started speaking, we referred to each other by our forum handles. I wonder if we should get them put on the marriage certificate...

No baby, I think not. It's bad enough that I rarely call you by your given name. It's always babe, or baby.. or Sir. Razz
Vampjazzy
Vampjazzy
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Chubbalumpakis Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:57 am

Well I was always a chunky kid. All throughout middle and high school. My brother, who in his younger days wasn't exactly nice, constantly called me Chubby instead of my real name. As we did our role-playing thing with our friends we began to try different variations. Chubbacca. Chubbaluffagus. Chubba Fett. Finally I came up with Chubbalumpakis, which we all got a good laugh out of and I decided to use as my online handle as it was funny, unique, and very humiliating to be fragged by.

"You were killed by Chubbalumpakis."

Hehehehe...
Chubbalumpakis
Chubbalumpakis
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  StopBeingCute Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:29 pm

The above poster was responsible for my handle. Ask him. =p
StopBeingCute
StopBeingCute
No Life

https://www.facebook.com/t0t4lg33k

Back to top Go down

Post  Chubbalumpakis Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:49 pm

StopBeingCute wrote:The above poster was responsible for my handle. Ask him. =p

Stop it! You're doing it again! STOP! *gets the water bottle...filled with warm massage oils* Twisted Evil
Chubbalumpakis
Chubbalumpakis
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  StopBeingCute Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:22 pm

Chubbalumpakis wrote:

Stop it! You're doing it again! STOP! *gets the water bottle...filled with warm massage oils* Twisted Evil

Protest all you like. You know you love my cute.
StopBeingCute
StopBeingCute
No Life

https://www.facebook.com/t0t4lg33k

Back to top Go down

Post  Tiq Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:29 am

I'd tell you... but then I'd have to kill you.

OH FINE!!

Umm.. I came up with it when I was a wee 12 year old bampot just starting to find his way into the alternative scene, because I wanted to seem more interesting than I was at the time. Embarassed

The name just kind of stuck since then.
Tiq
Tiq
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum