KryptonKrewmembers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mass Effect

+2
General Specific
gnurd
6 posters

Go down

Mass Effect Empty Mass Effect

Post  gnurd Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:36 pm

This is the story of how I stopped playing Mass Effect a mere nine hours in and even considered stopping earlier.

It came up on Steam for $5, and I had heard good things, so I purchased it. I started playing the game shortly after and thought it was alright. But after a short time, I just got really bored with it. It's a bad sign when a game doesn't make you want to play it.

I think it started with being annoyed by the combat gameplay. And then there was a whole lot of reading it wanted me to do to understand the world my character supposedly grew up in; not a great method of immersive storytelling. When the combat and story elements of an action RPG are both lacking, there's not much else to enjoy.

So I stopped playing that and installed Borderlands, which has a unique style, humor, and story. I was sucked in immediately.

Maybe I am just sick of space marine games, maybe I couldn't stand such a limiting RPG after coming off of Oblivion, or maybe Soldier was just the wrong class to pick. Maybe I'll give it another chance someday, but Mass Effect is just a big ol' MEH right now.
gnurd
gnurd
No Life

http://www.skippinginfinity.com

Back to top Go down

Mass Effect Empty Re: Mass Effect

Post  General Specific Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:47 pm

I loved Mass Effect mainly because of the story. Yeah it requires a lot of reading, but you don't have to read all of the background stuff. And I really enjoyed the combat, but I also like FPSes, so it was only a little different from what I was used to. The micromanaging your inventory got a bit frustrating after a while, though. Anyway, just my opinions.
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  Tiq Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:19 am

On topic: Mass Effect 2 is quite possibly one of the best RPG games I ever played... that and Dragon's Age.

I think if you're not interested in finding out about the backstory of the universe your playing in by doing a little reading, then RPG's might be the wrong genre for you. Razz
Tiq
Tiq
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  gnurd Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:25 am

Tiq wrote:On topic: Mass Effect 2 is quite possibly one of the best RPG games I ever played... that and Dragon's Age.

I think if you're not interested in finding out about the backstory of the universe your playing in by doing a little reading, then RPG's might be the wrong genre for you. Razz

I do like RPGs, though. Like I said in the first post, I had just finished Oblivion, which is incredibly deep. I felt the background to the world was better integrated into the story though. Having to open up a menu and read textbook descriptions of stuff really pulled me out of the game.
gnurd
gnurd
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  StopBeingCute Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:55 pm

Borderlands > Mass Effect
StopBeingCute
StopBeingCute
No Life

https://www.facebook.com/t0t4lg33k

Back to top Go down

Post  gnurd Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:17 pm

An update... Apart from a few side quests, I made it all the way through Borderlands. Gotta say, I don't feel bad about leaving Mass Effect in the dirt. Now, what to play next...
gnurd
gnurd
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Chubbalumpakis Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:20 am

StopBeingCute wrote:Borderlands > Mass Effect

QFT
Chubbalumpakis
Chubbalumpakis
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountebank Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Nope, Borderlands is too repetitive. There's some decent humour in there, and I like the art style, but there's not a lot to keep me interested. It's too fluffy-light.

I loved Mass Effect. The story was compelling and the combat worked well. It had its issues, but overall it worked very well.

I started playing Mass Effect 2 not long ago. Fun so far, but I dislike the new ammo mechanic with a fiery passion.
Mountebank
Mountebank
The Master

Back to top Go down

Post  General Specific Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:29 pm

I actually liked the ammo thing much better than micro managing the add-ons. Also, the way they handled weapons was better, too.

I must be the only person in the world that hated Borderlands. If I'm aiming down the iron sights at something that is literally at my feet, I should not miss six times in a row no matter how bad the gun/my skill is.
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum