KryptonKrewmembers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What I'm reading...

2 posters

Go down

What I'm reading... Empty What I'm reading...

Post  HeavenlyMayday Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:55 pm

Just decided to keep a list of what I've been reading lately for no reason other than i feel like it, and I figure the more posts there are here on the forum the better the chances that someone will reply and people will start posting more again. Razz

Ok.

The latest things I've read:

The Death Gate Cycle by Weiss and Hickman
Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin
The Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris

Death Gate was awesome, but I've always liked Weiss and Hickman. They write the best characters Smile

Alice I Have Been was a good read. I never realized that Alice in Wonderland was based on a real little girl, or that there was a possible scandal between her (Alice Liddell) and Charles Dodgeson (Lewis Carrol's pen name) Interesting read. Makes me want to actually read Alice in Wonderland.

Southern Vampire Mysteries were just some guilty fluff to fill time, lol. There's a new one coming out in May I think so I wanted to be all caught up. Embarassed

I just started reading The Minority Report by Philip K Dick. Haven't gotten far enough to form an opinion just yet. Looks good so far though from what I can tell. I'm always amazed by how many sci-fi movies are based on one of his stories. Smile

I think I want to read Brave New World next. I keep thinking of it and forgetting that I'm wanting to read it, lol!

HeavenlyMayday
HeavenlyMayday
Thock!

Back to top Go down

What I'm reading... Empty Re: What I'm reading...

Post  General Specific Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:49 pm

Still trying to slog through Earth (the Book) by John Stewart, et al. America - A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction was fun and entertaining. This one doesn't have the same kind of whimsy to it somehow.

Also half-reading/half-flipping-though-when-I'm-on-the-can (you're welcome for that image) a collection of Mark Twain's quotes, thoughts, and musings.

Next up is George Carlin's Last Words, which is a collection of his memoirs and stuff compiled by someone for him after his death. Should be interesting.

I really need to pickup where I left off in R. A. Salvatore's Dark Elf series. Also need to read the Cleric Quintet series.
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  HeavenlyMayday Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Dark Elf series sounds familliar... I may have started that at one point... Now I gotta go see if I read it or heard about it. Only bad thing about being a bookworm, I forget more books than most people read....

I really want to read George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. I read the first 2 (or was it one?) and really enjoyed it, but I stopped when I caught up to having to wait forever for the next book to come out. I am NOT a patient reader, I like reading series after they're all nice and finished, lol! I need to go back and look at series that I started and never finished because of all that stuff... (Wheel of Time comes to mind...)
HeavenlyMayday
HeavenlyMayday
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  General Specific Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:24 pm

Follows the exploits of Drizzt Do'Urden and friends. Established Dark Elves as a race in fantasy and D&D. And is the primary reason everyone loves to play as one. People with no imagination tend to play rip-offs of Drizzt in any game that allows a close approximation.
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  HeavenlyMayday Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:31 pm

That's why it sounds familiar, lol
HeavenlyMayday
HeavenlyMayday
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  HeavenlyMayday Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:30 am

So, finished The Minority Report, quite liked it, much better than the movie. (short story though, so the movie was actually more complicated than the book, lol)

Also read:
Ender's Game
Speaker For the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind
Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hedgemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant

(I think that's all of them, basically all of the Ender's Game and Shadow series, except I have to read Ender in Exile)

I've always liked Orson Scott Card, think I'll look up some of his other series and re read them, it's been years so I won't remember most of it, lol!

And now I've just started reading A Game of Thrones. And the funny thing is- I'm sure I've read it before, but it must have been a while ago cause it's not all that familiar to me, which is ok, cause it won't get boring, lol! So I'm gonna read as much of that series as is out so far and then I think finally Brave New World.

Any suggestions when I'm done with all of this? I'm half considering finding that list of "100 books that everyone should read before they die" and working my way through whatever I haven't already read on it. It's funny, I've always loved reading, but I'd had a hard time lately taking the time. I don't know why, but since I've gotten the nook I've been reading almost as much as I used to back when I wasn't working. Maybe because it's so portable and I can keep multiple books going at a time if I want (I'm bad about that. I've had as many as 4 or 5 books going at a time before) *shrug*
HeavenlyMayday
HeavenlyMayday
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  HeavenlyMayday Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:35 am

Just realized that if you count the couple of fluff romance novels I've read that I've read 10 books in a month and a half, lol. Not bad for someone who works full time and spends way too much time online XD
HeavenlyMayday
HeavenlyMayday
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  HeavenlyMayday Thu May 05, 2011 10:46 pm

So, read an in between book (still reading a game of thrones, but heard about this book and wanted to read it).

Soft Apocalypse by Will McIntosh

It's an interesting concept- instead of the apocalypse being a sudden event like a bomb or a meteor or some other such violent end in this book it's just society winding down, an economic apocalypse in a way. It's kind of frightening because you can see it happening (the basic stuff anyways, if not the specifics) It's a picture of a world where the rich get richer and everyone else sinks lower and lower into poverty and more and more primitive life style. Interesting if disturbing read.

Continuing on with Game of Thrones now, fun fun!

Also, reading Ender's game again but this time out loud with Chris, I'm trying to get him hooked on the series, lol!
HeavenlyMayday
HeavenlyMayday
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum