KryptonKrewmembers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grand Theft Aut: Vice City: Play by Play *Completed*

Go down

Grand Theft Aut: Vice City: Play by Play *Completed* Empty Grand Theft Aut: Vice City: Play by Play *Completed*

Post  gnurd Wed May 18, 2011 3:37 pm

I needed some wacky chaos in my life, so this time, I went with 2002's Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

Grand Theft Aut: Vice City: Play by Play *Completed* Vice-city-cover

I don't remember this one all that well, although I know I have played a bit of it. Unlike GTA III, where I actually had memories of many of the missions, with this one, I'm pretty sure I just goofed around in my cousin's game. I remember some of the locations but nothing about the story.

So, here are a few things I've noted during my first few missions.

-They really glossed over how the main character entered the story. I had to look it up. Also, he is not really very likable.

-The game takes place in 1986, the year I was born.

-I like that they added motorcycles and more types of weapons.

-There seems to be many more cops in Vice City when compared to Liberty City, both in cars and on foot.

-Who names a city "Vice City?" Honestly.

-This game still has the GTA III problem of approaching cars vanishing if you stop looking at them for a moment.

-They added a map. I'm so happy they added a map.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by gnurd on Tue May 31, 2011 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
gnurd
gnurd
No Life

http://www.skippinginfinity.com

Back to top Go down

Grand Theft Aut: Vice City: Play by Play *Completed* Empty Re: Grand Theft Aut: Vice City: Play by Play *Completed*

Post  gnurd Mon May 23, 2011 2:41 pm

I'm 8 hours into the game now. All areas of the city are now open to me, which seemed to have happened very quickly compared to other GTA games. I think this might be because the story seems to be headed in a direction where the player character, Tommy Vercetti, will become the head honcho in town, rather than just the best enforcer. It'll be interesting to see what happens when I start buying property and businesses.

Regarding property, I need to buy a safehouse with a garage. Parking spots outside apartments do not save vehicles, it turns out. Some will spawn a vehicle outside, but if a cop sees you get in, he will pursue.

I currently have something like seven different places to get missions, which is great. It keeps the game interesting, but since most of them aren't connected to the main story, it also avoids being overwhelming.
gnurd
gnurd
No Life

Back to top Go down

Grand Theft Aut: Vice City: Play by Play *Completed* Empty Re: Grand Theft Aut: Vice City: Play by Play *Completed*

Post  gnurd Thu May 26, 2011 1:39 am

I feel like I'm probably nearing the end of the game. Mostly because so many of the available missions end with me having to run escape from 4-5 stars-worth of cops, feds, and military. Sometimes it can be fun, but it can also get frustrating when it takes too many tries to beat the mission.
gnurd
gnurd
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  gnurd Fri May 27, 2011 11:03 pm

It seems I have run out of story missions. Everything currently available seems to involve building my very own criminal empire; i.e. Buying businesses and doing a handful of missions for each until they start independently generating revenue. I wonder how many business assets I'm supposed to have before the story continues...
gnurd
gnurd
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  gnurd Sat May 28, 2011 4:33 pm

Another difference I've noticed between GTA III and this game is that they removed the aspect of gradually pissing off every gang in the game until you can barely go anywhere without getting shot at (and self defense attempts being met with cops joining in the attack on you). In Vice City, the various factions only seem to attack if they catch you doing something specific, but it is otherwise safe to walk through their territory.

EDIT: Actually, the Haitians definitely don't like me.
gnurd
gnurd
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  gnurd Tue May 31, 2011 9:53 pm

So, I beat the game. The final mission took a few tries but was ultimately not very difficult (as in I just had to fight a bunch of guys, not do that and then also run from the authorities). The main character, Tommy Vercetti, was never very likable or relatable, but the ending cinematic really showed him to be to total psycho that he really is. Somehow, despite all the chaotic goofing I did in the game, I still hoped for a somewhat sympathetic character. I suppose GTA III pulled it off by having a silent character, and GTA IV pulled it off with really great writing. Vice City just made him a total bastard.

Overall, the game was decent. I think I preferred the story from GTA III, although I did like the addition of building a "business" empire. It helped provide a wealth of side missions, some of which were more engaging than the main story.

I do still have a handful of missions left, which I will probably complete as long as they don't get too frustrating. I refuse to let my entertainment stress me out more than real life, and for the most part, GTA games fit that bill well.
gnurd
gnurd
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down