KryptonKrewmembers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daily Show & Colbert Report to hold rallies on 10/30

3 posters

Go down

Daily Show & Colbert Report to hold rallies on 10/30 Empty Daily Show & Colbert Report to hold rallies on 10/30

Post  General Specific Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 pm

On The Daily Show, Jon Stewart announced The Rally to Restore Sanity to be held at the National Mall on October 30th.

Not to be outdone and, in fact, in an attempt to outdo, Stephen Colbert announced The March to Keep Fear Alive on his show, The Colbert Report.

I really, really want to go. However, I currently do not have a job, so it makes it tough. I'm pretty sure I can get up there ok, but the hotel rooms are a bit on the pricey side.

Anyone else planning on going? Want to go? Live in the DC area and will let me crash on their couch? Very Happy
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Daily Show & Colbert Report to hold rallies on 10/30 Empty Re: Daily Show & Colbert Report to hold rallies on 10/30

Post  StopBeingCute Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:01 am

I wish!! Tell you what... if this lottery ticket's a winner I'll float the cost for both of us!
StopBeingCute
StopBeingCute
No Life

https://www.facebook.com/t0t4lg33k

Back to top Go down

Daily Show & Colbert Report to hold rallies on 10/30 Empty Re: Daily Show & Colbert Report to hold rallies on 10/30

Post  General Specific Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:56 am

Deal
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  General Specific Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:21 pm

Well, I reserved my spot on a bus today. Not sure of the details, but I'm sure that will be sorted out soon.
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  General Specific Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:02 pm

Well, I may be the only one here that gives a damn, but if you want to go and are worried about a ride, you can get a spot on a bus: http://www.dcrallybus.com/RallyToRestoreSanity

No hotel required as the buses will aim to arrive at 9am on Saturday and then leave again at 6pm the same day. I'd love to meet up with anyone else that is going.
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  StopBeingCute Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:42 pm

I give a damn, I just can't go. Sad

Have fun for me?
StopBeingCute
StopBeingCute
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  General Specific Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:51 pm

Will do. I'll take a camera with me for piccies. Also, watch Comedy Central that day, 12-3 and see if you can spot me.

I'll be the one that looks like this:

Daily Show & Colbert Report to hold rallies on 10/30 Picture0008
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  StopBeingCute Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:18 pm

D'aww, turn that frown upside down! It's Stewart and Colbert after all!
StopBeingCute
StopBeingCute
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  General Specific Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:59 pm

ok...

Daily Show & Colbert Report to hold rallies on 10/30 Picture0019
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  StopBeingCute Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:18 pm

Much better!

Might want to do something about those crazy eyes, though...
StopBeingCute
StopBeingCute
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Zod the everliving Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:02 pm

oh balls!
I'd totally take the bus to washington for this but it's on the 30th.
I got a halloween party thing to do. =/

natch, I'd be all about keeping fear alive!
I'd prolly wave a Kneel before Zod poster too.
Zod the everliving
Zod the everliving
KNEEL!

Back to top Go down

Post  General Specific Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:31 pm

it's noon to 3pm, Zod. And Colbert is urging people to dress up for his side of the rally, so you wouldn't stand out if you came to this in costume.

Just sayin'
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  StopBeingCute Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:09 pm

I think you two should meet up there, dressed for opposing sides.

The pictures/video would be epic.
StopBeingCute
StopBeingCute
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Zod the everliving Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:29 pm

it would be epic!

But I gotta' go to this party. Sad

Else I'd "SO" friggin be there!

Hell, I"d try to get a pleather suit made for the occasion

Zod the everliving
Zod the everliving
KNEEL!

Back to top Go down

Post  General Specific Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:42 pm

Huffington Post is also supposed to be offering free buses from NY, not sure how it'd work though.
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  Zod the everliving Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:55 pm

meh, I could grab the 20 dollar round trip bus from Chinatown to Wa.
Prolly less of a crowd that way.

Tell them to change the date!! WTF!?
Zod the everliving
Zod the everliving
KNEEL!

Back to top Go down

Post  General Specific Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:17 am

I'm back from the rally. Was a fun time, but was too far back from the stage to see it/be seen. I've still got my signs, so may post them later. Tired now, go sleep.
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  StopBeingCute Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:02 am

I demand a proper update, mister.
StopBeingCute
StopBeingCute
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  General Specific Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Ok, I left home on Friday at about 2pm. I had to get to Atlanta by 8pm. i wanted to make sure I could find the station we were leaving from, but also wanted to avoid rush hour if at all possible. I did manage to find the station without much trouble, but I was 3 hours early. So, I went and got a bite to eat, then roamed around the area trying to find the spot where everyone was congregating. It took me a bit, but I did find it and hung out with other people waiting to go. When the buses arrived, I boarded one and settled into the seat. It was ok, not very comfy, but good enough.

We got under way around 9pm and had rest stops every 2 hours. I tried to sleep, but the movement and noise of the bus kept me from getting anything more than a couple of hours. We made it into DC around 10am. We departed the bus and made our way down to the National Mall where the rally was being held. By then, it was already quite packed and I made my way into the crowd somewhere in the middle.

Here is a satellite view of the turn out:

Daily Show & Colbert Report to hold rallies on 10/30 HtD1bl

Here is an approximation of where I was:

Daily Show & Colbert Report to hold rallies on 10/30 UeSzxl

Any way, the rally started around noon. The Roots & John Legend came out and sang some songs I wasn't really interested in. Then, the Mythbuster's Jamie and Adam came out to run some experiments with us. That was fun. They had us doing the wave from the front of the audience all the way to the back. Took about a minute to get all the way back. It was pretty cool to see them.

Then out came Jon Stewart & Stephen Colbert. Colbert did a bit where he was scared no one would come to the rally and so had ensconced himself in a "Fear Bunker" below the stage. He then had to be rescued from it in the same manner as the Chilean Miners. The fun really started at that point with the two bickering back & forth about who the rallyers were really supporting.

They then also were taking stock of everyone and wanted to get an official count and so they were going to have us count off, one by one, to see exactly how many people were here. However, that came to a quick stop as they realized how long that would actually take.

Then a few surprise guests made it out. I was really surprised to see them and thought the little bit they did was great. This is what I'm talking about:

I've got a few things I need to do, so will come back to this later on.

Last edited by General Specific on Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : better pictures needed)
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  General Specific Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:41 pm

Back, so here we continue.

I forgot to mention earlier that Father Guido Sarduchi came out and gave a benediction where he asked God for a sign on which religion was the correct one. No sign was given, sadly. So we still don't know the answer to that one.

After the songs by Yusuf, Ozzy, and the O'Jays, they had a few more bits where the correspondents for the Daily Show made a few jokes and Stephen and Jon sang a song as well. They then had a debate between Stephen and Jon on what was really important Sanity v Fear. Stephen brought out a giant puppet of himself and claimed to have killed Jon, thus "winning" only to have John Oliver pop out in a Peter Pan outfit and try to bring Stewart back to life via clapping. Only Stewart was not playing along. He wasn't dead and was trying to get them to stop. However, Oliver continued to try and help and found that chanting caused Colbert and his giant puppet to "die."

They were removed from the stage and Stewart was then allowed to give his closing statement which really underlined exactly what the rally was for. It can be seen here: http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=363864&title=jon-stewart-moment-of-sincerity

Tony Bennet then sang America the Beautiful and we all dispersed after that. I walked back to where my bus was, picking up some supper along the way. I had a few hours to go before we left to come back, but my feet really hurt and my head was pounding as well, which kinda contradicts the whole "you can't hurt in two places at once" thing. I just sat and rested on the bus until everyone else trickled in and we got back underway. We got back to Atlanta around 6am. I seriously thought about getting a hotel room in Atlanta and crashing for a bit. But I felt better after getting some caffeine in me and some breakfast as well. So, I drove home and got in around 10:30. Then I did crash before unpacking and such.

As promised, my 2 signs:

Daily Show & Colbert Report to hold rallies on 10/30 DSCF0272

Daily Show & Colbert Report to hold rallies on 10/30 DSCF0273

One last thing as well, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vETTB3g7D0#t=1m1

Very Happy
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  StopBeingCute Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:55 pm

Thank you for the update and video linkage. Smile
StopBeingCute
StopBeingCute
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Zod the everliving Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:29 pm

I think I see you in the aerial footage!
Zod the everliving
Zod the everliving
KNEEL!

Back to top Go down

Post  General Specific Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:09 am

I did find a replay of all the parts Jon Stewart & Stephen Colbert were in:
http://www.c-span.org/Watch/Media/2010/10/30/HP/R/40153/Rally+to+Restore+Sanity+andor+Fear+Today+in+Washington.aspx

The first hour w/ the Roots & Mythbusters is not included.
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down