KryptonKrewmembers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You knew it was going to happen eventually...

+8
Zod the everliving
Mountebank
Domina
RowanFalar
StopBeingCute
General Specific
Kid-spider2099
Chubbalumpakis
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

You knew it was going to happen eventually... Empty You knew it was going to happen eventually...

Post  Chubbalumpakis Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:47 pm

True Blood.

Love it? Hate it? Haven't seen it? The only acceptable answer is the first one because this show is awesome and being that this is the TV and Movies section, it deserves to be mentioned dammit!

I'm not quite sure what it is (aside from Anna Paquin boobage) that draws me to this show but the script and story are engaging, the acting is superb, and it feels like if Vampires did reveal themselves, then this is how it would be. Plus in an Entertainment industry that is currently being dominated by "pussy-vampires" (Do NOT get me started on that 'Twilight' bull) it's nice to see a badass Vampire rip off someone's head for fuck's sake.

So what about you guys? Anyone else in love with this show like I am?
Chubbalumpakis
Chubbalumpakis
No Life

Back to top Go down

You knew it was going to happen eventually... Empty Re: You knew it was going to happen eventually...

Post  Kid-spider2099 Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:05 pm

Chubbalumpakis wrote:True Blood.

Love it? Hate it? Haven't seen it? The only acceptable answer is the first one because this show is awesome and being that this is the TV and Movies section, it deserves to be mentioned dammit!

I'm not quite sure what it is (aside from Anna Paquin boobage) that draws me to this show but the script and story are engaging, the acting is superb, and it feels like if Vampires did reveal themselves, then this is how it would be. Plus in an Entertainment industry that is currently being dominated by "pussy-vampires" (Do NOT get me started on that 'Twilight' bull) it's nice to see a badass Vampire rip off someone's head for fuck's sake.

So what about you guys? Anyone else in love with this show like I am?

I have yet to see it. I wanna see it Hey if you wanna rag on twilight go ahead.
Kid-spider2099
Kid-spider2099
Thock!

Back to top Go down

You knew it was going to happen eventually... Empty Re: You knew it was going to happen eventually...

Post  General Specific Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:58 pm

Have not seen it because I don't have the premium package w/ HBO. Also, not big on vampires of any kind.
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  Kid-spider2099 Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:59 pm

General Specific wrote:Have not seen it because I don't have the premium package w/ HBO. Also, not big on vampires of any kind.

not even spike or angel? or the lost boys?
Kid-spider2099
Kid-spider2099
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  General Specific Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:06 pm

Nope, nope, aaand nope.

Don't care. Most vampire movies are predictable. Same with zombies and well, most horror movies. Not a big fan of horror in general.
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  StopBeingCute Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:19 pm

I <3 you Chubbs, but I haven't seen it and don't want to see it. Twilight has pretty much soured me on vampires.

And hey Gen, I can appreciate your feelings about the predictability of vampire and zombie movies, but I'm still going to love the zombies. Shaun of the Dead was hysterical.
StopBeingCute
StopBeingCute
No Life

https://www.facebook.com/t0t4lg33k

Back to top Go down

Post  RowanFalar Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:26 pm

I would much rather read the books. Yeah, fine they're sexy, but my vampire fantasy of choice is David from Lost Boys, Angel and Spike from BtVS.
RowanFalar
RowanFalar
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  Domina Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:42 pm

I agree with you Chubbs~ Definitely need a thread for this show!
After watching the first episode of the first season, I went out and read all the books before the second episode aired. One of mine and Michaels favorite shows. The books are excellent, as is the show. There are just enough differences between the two to keep your attention and craving more. (Anna Paquins boobs are a plus)
Domina
Domina
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  General Specific Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:19 pm

You knew it was going to happen eventually... Red_stripe_hooray_beer
HOORAY BOOBS!
General Specific
General Specific
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountebank Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:33 pm

General Specific wrote:Also, not big on vampires of any kind.
Bad divorce?

I can recommend the show. Some of the stuff I don't like (the positioning of the vampire's teeth, the fact that the vamps move like the freaking Flash), but the storylines are solid, the acting good and the nudity gratuitous. I wouldn't put it in the horror category at all, some of the characters just happen to be supernatural.
Mountebank
Mountebank
The Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Kid-spider2099 Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:38 pm

I got it from the library the other day it's not bad so far. i have yet to see anna paquin boobage.
Kid-spider2099
Kid-spider2099
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  Zod the everliving Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:31 pm

I saw a few episodes here and there.
Hard to follow if you havent watched it from the start of the season in the very least.

It's not bad, but it hasnt grabbed me as it has so many others.
The speed up the film stints are a bit cheesey but the writing seems decent.

Probably worth a second try if I had time.
Zod the everliving
Zod the everliving
KNEEL!

Back to top Go down

Post  Vampjazzy Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:43 pm

I've read all of the books, and watched all of the shows.

I definitely love them. Very Happy I have to say though, Laurell K Hamilton is better. Heh.

And yes. Gratuitous nudity for the win. *drools*
Vampjazzy
Vampjazzy
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  LyingBastard Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:49 pm

RowanFalar wrote:I would much rather read the books. Yeah, fine they're sexy, but my vampire fantasy of choice is David from Lost Boys, Angel and Spike from BtVS.

All three at the same time? Whoa. Shocked
LyingBastard
LyingBastard
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  Domina Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:23 pm

Vampjazzy wrote:I've read all of the books, and watched all of the shows.

I definitely love them. :D I have to say though, Laurell K Hamilton is better. Heh.

And yes. Gratuitous nudity for the win. *drools*
AGREED!
Domina
Domina
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Zod the everliving Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:43 pm

the gay guy/short order cook is hilarious from the few times I've seen it.
Cant recall his name atm.
Zod the everliving
Zod the everliving
KNEEL!

Back to top Go down

Post  RowanFalar Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:57 pm

LyingBastard wrote:
RowanFalar wrote:I would much rather read the books. Yeah, fine they're sexy, but my vampire fantasy of choice is David from Lost Boys, Angel and Spike from BtVS.

well......yeah.
RowanFalar
RowanFalar
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  Kid-spider2099 Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:40 pm

RowanFalar wrote:
LyingBastard wrote:

well......yeah.

should throw the doctor and captain jack harkness for good measure?
Kid-spider2099
Kid-spider2099
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  HeavenlyMayday Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:58 pm

I've read and watched them and the story is compelling. I like the premise a lot, the idea of vampires "coming out of the coffin" gives the show's writers so much opportunity to explore current social and political issues, but honestly I wish there was a pg or pg-13 or even R rated version. The whole NC17 style is off-putting for me. I find myself fast forwarding a lot...

That said, it's my own personal issues and I'm just one person. The majority of the people who like it seem to enjoy that aspect so whatever makes them happy, lol. Strangely enough the books don't bother me as much. For whatever reason it's easier for me to read grown up stuff than watch.
HeavenlyMayday
HeavenlyMayday
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  RowanFalar Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:15 pm

Kid-spider2099 wrote:
RowanFalar wrote:
LyingBastard wrote:

well......yeah.

Um.....I think that Captain Jack would be enough for me. Although being the filling in a CJH/DW sandwich is......um.........gotta go!
RowanFalar
RowanFalar
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  LyingBastard Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:49 pm

Kid-spider2099 wrote:
RowanFalar wrote:
LyingBastard wrote:

well......yeah.

That's airtight and then some.
LyingBastard
LyingBastard
Thock!

Back to top Go down

Post  Vampjazzy Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:54 pm

Zod the everliving wrote:the gay guy/short order cook is hilarious from the few times I've seen it.

Lafayette.
Vampjazzy
Vampjazzy
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountebank Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:28 pm

Vampjazzy wrote:
Zod the everliving wrote:the gay guy/short order cook is hilarious from the few times I've seen it.

Lafayette.
Gesundheit.
Mountebank
Mountebank
The Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Chubbalumpakis Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:49 am

StopBeingCute wrote:I <3 you Chubbs, but I haven't seen it and don't want to see it. Twilight has pretty much soured me on vampires.

[rant] Okay. I can understand how Twilight would do that. Hell, it did the same for me for a while. But my parents got me hooked on True Blood and it is totally worth watching.

Now as for Twilight...*breathes*

I. FUCKING. Hate. Twilight. With the fiery passion of a million burning suns. I have thought to myself for many hours as to why I hate it so much and I have come to several conclusions.

1) Vampires don't 'sparkle.' This is by far the BIGGEST reason I can't stand Twilight. Stephanie Meyer has taken decades of Vampire mythology (both actual mythology and Hollywood standards) and taken a big, steamy dump all over it. Look back to every single Vampire movie made over the past 60 years and every single one of them has had one constant: Vampires are killed by sunlight. In some cases it's been instant and in others slow and painful but the fact remains that Vampires + Sun = Death. I mean even the original Dracula with Bella Lugosi (SP?) was killed by the sun at the end of the movie. Now don't get me wrong, I"m all for poetic license but there are some things you don't mess with, IE: Werewolves are killed with silver, Zombies are killed by bullets to the head or decapitation, and Vampires are killed by the sun. Point. Period. End of story.

2) Vampires are killers and drink human blood. Love can exist between a Vampire and a Human but nine times out of ten, it's false love in the Vampire's need for sustenance and the Human ends up as a delicious snack. Even in True Blood, Sookie recognizes the fact that Bill is a killer but is still drawn to him for other reasons. In Twilight, Meyer has again negated this fact by romanticizing them to the point of teen heart-throb. Edward is so 'perfect' and would never harm Bella or anyone else which turns Vampires into pansies.

3) Tweens. Now I saw the first movie on a whim and instantly hated it. I was forced to watch the second movie by my wife (who asked me afterward "What did you think?" To which I replied, 'Do you want the honest truth or do you want me to sugar coat it?") But I made a conscious decision to read the first book, thinking 'well maybe the book is better.' The answer was a resounding NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. However, I did discover why all these kids were drawn to it. In Meyer's book we never actually get a description of what Bella looks like. We know she's a girl. We know she's in high school. And we know that she's shy, introverted, and a tad ditsy, which pretty much describes every preteen adolescent girl from ages 10-on. What we DO know is what Edward looks like. Every time Bella talks about Edward she blathers on about his 'perfect skin,' his 'perfect eyes,' his 'perfect hair,' his 'perfect blah.' What this does is create the illusion that the shy, introverted, ditsy girl reading this book could actually BE Bella and that Edward is the PERFECT man. I'm having trouble finding the right words but it does nothing but provide a skewed view of men in general, if you catch my meaning. Young girls identify with Bella, want to be Bella, and see Edward as God's gift to women. Meyer spoon feeds this bullshit to all those girls and gets away with it while making gobs of cash in the process.

I really could go further with this but in short...

Fuck you, Stephanie Meyer. You've taken what used to be an awesome and iconic Villain/Race/Creature and turned them into a bunch of gelled up, whiny, pretty boys with too much makeup and an obsession with glitter. Fuck you very much. [/rant]
Chubbalumpakis
Chubbalumpakis
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ZombieJoe Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:49 pm

While not a fan of Twilight, there is a flaw in your argument. Sunlight killing vampires is not a constant. Dracula was written to become weak in sunlight losing most of his power, but was not killed by it.

For the record, I am wholly against Twilight personally. At the same time I am not against the reworking of certain tropes of a genre (or sub-genre) for the purpose of making a good story. Jaye Wells books featuring Sabina Kane are a good example. It is not the stake through the heart that is the danger, but applewood itself. It is relating to the "forbidden fruit" and ties into the creation of the vampires as a race in that series.

Also, in the event that you are a fan of Twilight, I also support your right to enjoy those books. Just because I say my vampires don't sparkle doesn't mean that yours can't. I still think Edward is a skeevy pedophile though. Wink
ZombieJoe
ZombieJoe
No Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum